SHENANDOAH COUNTY HISTORIC COURTHOUSE
Constructed in 1795 of native limestone, the Shenandoah County Historic Courthouse is the oldest courthouse west of the Blue Ridge Mountains in continuous use. It saw much activity during the Civil War, with troops from both sides in and around the building and leaving their mark with graffiti on the interior walls. A Greek Revival addition was built in 1871 that contained a new courtroom and construction in 1886 added clerk’s offices in the Victorian style. The front of the building was altered in 1927 with the addition of columns and a portico. The building’s cupola is topped with a weather vane of delicate scrollwork and a figure of uncertain identity even today. The courthouse served as the center of county government until the early 20th century. Adjacent to the courthouse, the traditional Lawyer’s Row remains, though the original buildings are used for other purposes. The courthouse now serves as a Visitor Information Center, Historic Courtroom Museum, Shenandoah County Historical Society offices, community use space and for periodic court use.
CHECK OUT OUR INSTAGRAM profile and follow us for your next adventure
There are no upcoming events at this time.