This fun and fact-filled Civil War Park has something for everyone. The walking trails through the Civil War earthworks provide visitors with a relaxing stroll through the beautiful grounds and a fresh perspective of the history of the site. The museum tells the story of the Shenandoah Valley in 1864, and the variety of battles and actions that occurred, as well as the hardships the women and children endured to maintain the homes. Numerous displays and artifacts are available for viewing and learning. The theater provides a place to learn even more through the DVD presentations. For those who prefer to shop, the well stocked gift/book shop has a wide variety of books about the Civil War action in the area, as well as lots of gifts and souvenirs. Hupp’s Hill Civil War Park has something for everyone!
33229 Old Valley Pike, Strasburg, VA 22657 | 540-465-5884
Located inside the Mount Jackson Town Hall, the Mount Jackson Visitors Center is open daily 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. M-F. Call (540) 477.2121 for the Museum and Library hours. The Mount Jackson Museum features early history, Civil War history, and interesting artifacts and exhibits.
5901 Main Street, Mount Jackson, VA 22842 | 540-477-2121
Constructed in 1795 of native limestone, the Shenandoah County Historic Courthouse is the oldest courthouse west of the Blue Ridge Mountains in continuous use. It saw much activity during the Civil War, with troops from both sides in and around the building and leaving their mark with graffiti on the interior walls. A Greek Revival addition was built in 1871 that contained a new courtroom and construction in 1886 added clerk’s offices in the Victorian style. The front of the building was altered in 1927 with the addition of columns and a portico. The building’s cupola is topped with a weather vane of delicate scrollwork and a figure of uncertain identity even today. The courthouse served as the center of county government until the early 20th century. Adjacent to the courthouse, the traditional Lawyer’s Row remains, though the original buildings are used for other purposes. The courthouse now serves as a Visitor Information Center, Historic Courtroom Museum, Shenandoah County Historical Society offices, community use space and for periodic court use. Open Thursday – Saturday 11am – 4pm
103 North Main Street, Woodstock, VA 22664 | 540-459-6227 or 540-459-1795
The Edinburg Mill was built in 1848 by George Grandstaff and was in continuous operation as a grist mill until 1978. It is famous for the fact that it is one of the few mills in the Valley that was not burned by Sheridan during the Civil War. The mill is NOW OPEN Monday-Saturday from 10 am – 5 pm and Sundays from 12-5 pm. Check out the mill, visit the museum, or set up an event to be hosted here. 540-984-8400 or email us at email@example.com Film, “The Burning”, re-creation of store fronts, transportation and agricultural exhibits.
214 S. Main St., Edinburg, VA 22824 | 540-984-8400
The Virginia Museum of the Civil War is the only state-owned Civil War museum and is administered by the Virginia Military Institute (VMI). The site consists of three elements: The Virginia Museum of the Civil War, the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park and the Historic Bushong Farm. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places and is part of the Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail System.
8895 George Collins Parkway, New Market, VA 22844 | 866-515-1864
©2017, Shenandoah County Virginia | Site by Mountain High Media