Originally built in 1894, The Meems Bottom Covered Bridge is the longest and one of only four publicly accessible covered bridges remaining in Virginia. The bridge is named for the Meem family that owned the Strathmore estate west of the Shenandoah River. The 204- foot-single-span Burr arch truss bridge spans the North for of the Shenandoah River. The bridge carried travelers for more than 80 years until it was burned by vandals on Halloween 1976. The bridge was later reconstructed after salvaging the original timbers.
Today, it is the only publically maintained covered bridge in Virginia that vehicles can still drive through. Adjacent picnic tables and a short path to the Shenandoah River make this a great stop for a picnic or easy river access.