- This event has passed.
Local History Weekend
May 10 - May 11
An event every day that begins at 12:00am, repeating until May 11, 2019
In conjunction with Virginia Tourism eight Shenandoah County sites will be co-sponsoring an inaugural “Local History Weekend” on Friday May 10 and Saturday May 11.
This event is designed to welcome individuals to visit the museums, archives, and historic sites that help care for and share the stories from our area’s past. On these two days the following sites will be open special hours to welcome all those interested in our community’s history.
• Strasburg Museum, 10:00AM-5:00PM. 440 E. King St., Strasburg VA.
• Hupp’s Hill Civil War Park and Visitor Center, 9:00AM-5:00PM. 33229 Old Valley Pike, Strasbrug VA.
• Fort Valley Museum, 11:00AM-5:00PM. 8631 Fort Valley Rd., Fort Valley VA.
• Historic Shenandoah County Courthouse, 11:00AM-7:00PM. 103 N. Main St., Woodstock VA
• Woodstock Museum of Shenandoah County, 11:00AM-5:00PM. 104 S. Muhlenberg St., Woodstock VA
• Shenandoah Valley Cultural Heritage Museum at the Edinburg Mill, 9:30AM-5:30PM. 214 S. Main Street, Edinburg VA.
• Shenandoah County Library’s Truban Archives, Friday 10:00AM-5:30PM, Saturday 10:00AM-3:00PM. 514 Stoney Creek Blvd., Edinburg VA.
• Mt. Jackson Museum, 1:00PM-4:00PM. 5901 Main St., Mt. Jackson VA.
These eight sites will be sponsoring a “Hunt for History” scavenger hunt where individuals who visit a certain number of sites will be entered to win a local history prize pack. Anyone interested in participating in this hunt should pick up a passport from participating institutions during the event and return it to the site which they visit last. Visitors to four sites will receive a single entry in the raffle while visitors to all eight sites will receive two entries.
Share your pictures from the event via social media using #ShenCoHstry
For questions or more information visit countylib.org/local-history or contact Archivist Zachary Hottel at (540)984-8200